Wednesday, October 24, 2007

NFL Predictions-Week 8

Last week proved me to be way off base on a couple of games, and my upset calls were completely off. I completely underestimated the Rams' ability to lose a game. I will not do that again. For some reason I figured the returns of Marc Bulger and Isaac Bruce might actually make a difference. I was wrong and will learn from my mistakes. I doubt I will take the Rams again this season.

Congratulations to Dustin Hall for winning the Statesman NFL Picker. This was the first week that we had more than one student who beat me and therefore the first actual drawing, so a special shout out goes to Ryan Beard and Michael Disher who also beat me, but lost the drawing.

I finished last week with an 8-6 mark, moving to a 59-44 season record. It was suggested to me that any monkey could pick many of the winners in the NFL, but you really have to know the teams to pick against the spread. So we are going to try picking against the spread this week. We'll see how it goes.

Now on to my picks: Detroit travels to Chicago this week as five-point underdogs. The Bears are beginning to look better after last week against the Eagles, and Detroit, although they had been digressing recently, looked in control against Tampa Bay. Bears quarterback Brian Griese is looking better each week, but I still have my doubts about him at the helm. Being at home, the Bears may pull off the win, but I doubt it will be by five. I'll take the Lions in the spread with a final score of Bears 24, Lions 21.

Pittsburgh travels to Cincinnati as three-and-a-half-point favorites. The Steelers looked rather confused against the Broncos last week, but I fully expect Pittsburgh to bounce back. The Steelers will learn from that game and use it to improve. And the Bengals, even though they defeated the lowly Jets, have yet to look that great this year. I expect to see the Steelers do what they do best and simply pound the ball at the Bengals. I'll take the Steelers covering the spread at Steelers 27, Bengals 17.

Tennessee will host Oakland this Sunday and is a seven-and-a-half-point favorite. Vince Young will be back for this game and can be a full 10-point difference for the Titans. In front of a raucous home crowd and against a far inferior opponent, I'll take the Titans covering the spread at Titans 21, Raiders 10.

Cleveland travels to St. Louis this weekend and is a mere three-point favorite. Anyone who would pick either the Rams to win or to lose by less than a field goal to the 3-3 Browns might need a drug test before applying for any government job. I'll take the Browns in a no-brainer, Browns 38, Rams 13.

The New York Giants have been climbing in the ever-tough NFC East over the last five weeks, racking up five consecutive wins. Make that six as they travel to London, in a "Let's bring American football to the world effort," to face the even-worse-than-the-Rams, Miami Dolphins. The Giants are nine-and-a-half-point favorites, and with the loss of running back Ronnie Brown, it should be more than enough. I'll take the Giants with a score of Giants 38, Dolphins 17.

Philadelphia travels to Minnesota as one-point favorites, and I am not even sure if they should be favored in this matchup. The Eagles didn't look that stellar against a weak Bears team and Minnesota put up quite the fight against the Cowboys. Tarvaris Jackson still has a ways to go, and I don't expect the Vikings to be a big playoff threat, but Adrian Peterson has caused the league to take them seriously. I'll take the Vikings in a close game at home at Vikings 24, Eagles 23.

Indianapolis takes on Carolina on the road as seven-point favorites. The Panthers are 4-2 on the year but have yet to win a single game in front of their home crowd with their two losses at home. I am not sure what is the cause of this oddity, but the Colts have been in control of every game they have played this year and I don't see that changing. The real question becomes whether or not the Panthers can keep the game within a single possession. I think they will for most of the game, but the Colts will pull away with some breathing room in the fourth quarter for a Colts win at Colts 31, Panthers 21.

The New York Jets host the Buffalo Bills as favorites by a field goal, and honestly I wouldn't pick them outright. Chad Pennington did return this last week and he looked like a quarterback in control, but one man can't win the game. I see the Bills stealing this cross-state game with a score of Bills 24, Jets 19.

Houston travels to Phoenix this weekend to face the San Diego Chargers. (Wait, don't you mean Arizona Cardinals?) Nope, with the wildfires in southern California this week, it looks like the Chargers will not be able to host the game this Sunday. The Chargers are named as nine-and-a-half-point favorites, and I doubt they can surmount a sizeable lead. I think they will pull off a win but only by a single possession. I'll take the Texans against the spread at Chargers 27, Texans 23.

After a tough loss to the Colts and an even tougher loss of quarterback David Garrard, the Jaguars travel to Tampa Bay after the Bucs suffered an embarrassing loss to the Lions with a turnover ratio of +2.

The loss of Garrard to the Jags was possibly the largest loss the organization could take, as the Jags have entered panic mode, searching for a veteran quarterback to take over the reins. Such little confidence in backup Quinn Gray tells me that Tampa Bay will have no problem taking Jacksonville at home. I'll take the Buccaneers with a score of Bucs 27, Jags 13.

Washington travels to seemingly unstoppable New England as 16.5 point underdogs. I agree with the Redskins being underdogs, but disagree with the number. I realize the Patriots have won by over 17 points in every game this season, but I see the Redskins breaking that barrier and holding some ground. I don't doubt the Patriots will climb to 8-0, but I'll take the Redskins against the spread at Patriots 32, Redskins 21.

New Orleans faces the three-point underdog 49ers in San Francisco this Sunday and receives the luxury of playing another sub-par team after narrowly defeating the Falcons. The 49ers, after jumping to a 2-0 start and hopes of contending again, have lost the last four games. The 49ers just never seem to have the answers and I don't see it changing. I'll take the Saints with a score of Saints 20, 49ers 13.

In the Monday Night Football game, the 5-1 Green Bay Packers travel to a tough 3-3 Denver Broncos. Even though the Packers have a full two-game advantage in record, the three-point favorite Broncos are looking to keep their momentum going after taking a bite out of the Steelers last Sunday. Green Bay has had a full two weeks to prepare for this game and has looked great this year. This will be the biggest test for the Packers, and if they can pull off the win in Denver, they become the team to beat in the NFC along with Dallas. I think they will. I'll take the Packers in a nail-biter at Packers 27, Broncos 24.

So there are my picks against the spread, let's see what you think. Send me your picks at sasspted@isugw.indstate.edu. There are no easy picks this week, since we are picking against the spread. Think you can beat me? Bring it.

No comments: