Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NFL Predictions-Week 3

After going 9-7 in week one, I was hoping to improve. Instead I dropped to an even 16-16 on the season. Congrats to Ryan Beard for being the only student to top my picks and, by default, winning the weekly drawing of an iTunes gift card.

Week two was a very telling week in the NFL, but it seems I have ticked off the football gods with my statements about Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland and Tampa Bay. So a little note to all but the Chiefs: point taken, and to the Chiefs: maybe you should have stuck with Trent Green.

San Diego is coming off a tough loss to New England that made its defense look silly, while the Packers are looking better than they have in recent years. This would normally spell a Packers win, but I just can't see the Chargers staying down. Look for a bounce back and a really big game from LT. I'll take the Chargers.

Minnesota travels to Kansas City this week in a game of two teams that can't seem to close the deal. The Chiefs have really struggled and Larry Johnson has not been the running back many expected him to be this season, averaging only 3.8 yards per carry, while the Vikings have found relief in the form of rookie running back Adrian Peterson. Both are fighting for their first win of the season, but the edge comes in the form of the Vikings defense. I'll take Minnesota, but don't expect a pretty game.

New England is proving to be the powerhouse it was expected to be this season and even with the distractions of the cheating allegations and investigation by the NFL, they don't seem to be slowing down. But the NFL has gotten serious and if this cheating extends much further than the game against the Jets (and it looks like he does with reports of files upon files of video on each coaching staff in the NFL that he has been asked to hand over), Belichick might be in some serious trouble and receive the wrath of commissioner Roger Goodell. There are rumors it could cost Belichick his job, which could be a distraction this week. However, they are not playing the Colts; they are playing the Bills. I'll stick with the Pats.

Miami will take the Jets, although I see a future in Kellen Clemens. That is, if his receivers start using their hands near the end zone. Detroit will roll over a struggling Philly and the Steelers will destroy a 49ers team that is lucky to be 2-0.

The Bucs took advantage of a struggling New Orleans last week and the Rams are just that: struggling. Common logic should tell me to take the Bucs, but I can't seem to do it. I'll take the Rams, but I wouldn't put money on it. Baltimore is getting better, and I still think it is a top team in the AFC, so I'll take the Ravens over the Cardinals.

The Indy at Houston game might be the biggest Colts-Texans game in NFL history. Never before have the Texans looked as good as they do now and may finally be contenders. I think it may all come down to the Colts run defense. Last year, I would have hesitated, but this year I have confidence in the Indy defense. I'll take the Colts in one exciting game.

I'll take Denver over Jacksonville and the Browns over the Raiders, but look for a good game between the Bengals and Seahawks. Oh, and I will take the Bengals. Carolina will walk all over a lost Falcons team, while the Giants and Redskins battle another ugly NFC East game. It won't be pretty, but the Giants have more weapons. I'll take New York.

The Sunday night football game will be everything it is billed to be, and the winner will be crowned the team to beat in the NFC. The Chicago defense will really test young quarterback Tony Romo. Romo and wide receiver Terrell Owens, though, have much to prove after Romo's muffed snap that lost the playoffs and Owens' dropped passes last year, and that is a very dangerous thing. Look for an exciting game and Dallas still standing in the end.

Tennessee dropped a close game last week to the Colts and the Saints, billed as the best in the NFC in the preseason, were embarrassed by the Bucs. The Saints will look to rebound, but I don't think this will be the week for it. The Titans are looking better by the week and are finally living up to their potential. After the draft last year I knew they would be good, I just wasn't sure how soon those draft picks could play out. The Titans will win it, but the Saints won't go quietly.

Think you can do better? Send your picks to sasspted@isugw.indstate.edu. We've had one winner so far, but I don't plan to make a habit of it.

No comments: