Friday, September 14, 2007

NFL Predictions-Week 2

With a very telling first week, I feel like I can erase my 9-7 record from last week. So let's gaze into what the future brings us in the land of professional football. Until these teams prove me wrong, I feel very comfortable picking any team that plays Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland and Tampa Bay. So the Bengals over Browns, Saints over Bucs, Bears over Chiefs and Broncos over Raiders are easy picks.

Last week, the Titans exploited the Jaguars' poor rush defense and Jacksonville dropped its home opener. I see things repeating with the Falcons this week … that is if Atlanta had a rushing game to begin with. I'll take the Jaguars in an ugly game.

St. Louis looked confused against the Panthers last week as running back Steven Jackson failed to reach even 60 yards in 18 carries, well under the predictions for him this year. The loss of Orlando Pace doesn't help those circumstances, but I can't see Jackson being held back all year, and after such an ugly game between the 49ers and Cardinals, full of holes to exploit, I'll give the Rams another chance this week.

The Texans upset the Chiefs last week and forced America to pay attention, but I am not sure how much of that was Houston playing well, or Kansas City just dropping the ball. The Panthers started out the season proving they can be contenders. I'll take Carolina.

Green Bay upset Philly at home even though the Eagles out-gained them in both rushing and passing yards. The Packers won by forcing more turnovers. They won't be as lucky against the Giants. As long as Eli Manning is back, and reports look like he will, I'll take the Giants.

Pittsburgh plays a tougher opponent than the Browns in Buffalo, but the Steelers will stay on top. The Titans will prove to be a tougher foe than years before with another year under Vince Young, but the Colts answered the call against the Saints and don't show any signs of slowing. I'll take the Colts.

Detroit has started the season 1-0 and looks to be better than years before, but the Vikings are not the Raiders, and that makes all the difference. Give me Adrian Peterson and the Vikings. I'll take the Cowboys and Seahawks in easy games over the Dolphins and Cardinals.

Baltimore was roughed up against Cincinnati, with injuries to numerous players including Steve McNair and Ray Lewis, keys to the offense and defense. With Lewis back and McNair probable, I don't see the Jets with much of a chance. Ravens all the way.

In a possible AFC Championship preview, the Chargers and Patriots face off on Sunday night. Two questions will be answered. Can Bill Belichick win without cheating (he was caught video taping the Jets' signals last week - a big no-no)? A big yes, but he won't this week as the second question of "Can Norv Turner win a big game on the road?" is answered as well and maybe we quit worrying about whether he has "still got it." I'll take the Chargers.

For the Monday Night game, I see the Redskins and Eagles putting a lot of people to sleep early. Washington squeaked by in overtime last week, and I really don't see Philly making as many turnovers this week. If the Eagles turnover the ball three or more times again, it could be a rough season for Eagles fans. Philly will win it, but I doubt America will care.

So there are my picks, what are yours? No one sent me his or her picks last week, so the odds are in your favor. Send your picks to sasspted@isugw.indstate.edu, and see if you can do better. Can you?

No comments: