Wednesday, November 07, 2007

NFL Predictions-Week 10

Week nine was a crazy week in the NFL with the Lions looking like giants and the Broncos like mice, the Vikings looking like contenders as the Chargers look like lost children, and the Steelers are a force to be reckoned with while the Ravens should be lucky to stand at 4-4. However, the biggest game of the season told us absolutely nothing new: the Patriots and Colts are the top two teams in the game, it's near impossible to stop the Patriots, and if both teams are at full health, we still won't know who will win it.

Congratulations to Dustin Hall for his 9-5 mark on the week, defeating me by a single game. My 8-6 record moves me above .500 against the spread at 15-13. Let's see if we can improve that even more.

We will begin with the six-and-a-half-point favorite Green Bay Packers hosting the Minnesota Vikings. Green Bay is very much the team to beat in the NFC North, although, despite their 3-5 record, the Vikings are not far behind.

Adrian Peterson has given this team the spark it needs for playoff hopes. The Packers may beat the surging Vikings, but I think the Vikings will keep it within a possession. In fact, I'll take it one step further and take the Vikings outright with a score of Vikings 28, Packers 24.

The Jacksonville Jaguars travel to the half-point favorite Tennessee Titans after a tough loss to the New Orleans Saints. I expect a big divisional clash in this game, as it marks the second-place team behind the Colts. With a healthy Vince Young, the Titans are the team to beat, although Quinton Gray is making Jacksonville ask, "David Garrard who?" Being at home, I'll take the Titans, but only by a field goal at Titans 23, Jaguars 20.

The Denver Broncos, after looking absolutely lost against the Lions, travel to the half-point favorite Kansas City Chiefs. The Broncos come into this game with a lot to prove and had high expectations coming into this year. Not that Larry Johnson hasn't been largely a major letdown, but the Chiefs have been turning things around while the Broncos continue to plummet. I'll take the Chiefs, but not by much, at Chiefs 22, Broncos 20.

The Buffalo Bills have been a pleasant surprise this season and travel to the complete disappointment and threeand- a-half-point favorite Miami Dolphins. If I were a member of the Bills team, I would probably be insulted by this spread. To ever be favored by less than a touchdown to the Dolphins or Rams this season means Vegas does not think highly of you. I'll take the Bills easily in a landslide of Bills 30, Dolphins 6.

Speaking of the St. Louis Rams, they travel to the resurging New Orleans Saints, who are favored by a big 11- and-a-half-point margin. The Saints may be looking better and at home, but I really don't see them pulling away from the Rams, who are coming off a bye week, by more than a possession. The Saints will pull off the win, but (and I can't believe the words are coming out of my mouth) I'll take the Rams in the spread at Saints 23, Rams 17.

The Cleveland Browns travel to play the Pittsburgh Steelers as nine and-a-halfpoint underdogs. With the game the Steelers played Monday night against the Ravens, I have no doubt in my mind that the Steelers will come out on top, but I really think the Browns can keep this game close. I'll take the Browns in the spread with a score of Steelers 24, Browns 20.

The Baltimore Ravens play host the five-and-a-half-point underdog Cincinnati Bengals. After being completely and utterly embarrassed by the Steelers on Monday Night Football, I am honestly surprised to see them as favorites. But the again, the Bengals have looked like total flops this year, and with the loss of Chad Johnson last week, they will struggle to win many more games this year.

The Ravens may pull off a win, but only by a field goal. I can't believe I am writing this, but I'll take the Bengals in the spread at Ravens 23, Bengals 20.

The Philadelphia Eagles face-off with division rival and three-and-a-half-point favorite Washington Redskins in our nation's capitol. With two teams that didn't look very convincing last week, it's hard to tell which team is going to show up to play this week. The Redskins should have destroyed the Jets, but it took an overtime drive to win and the Eagles were destroyed at home by the best of the NFC, the Dallas Cowboys.

Until Donovan McNabb turns a corner, I really don't see the Eagles beating a team with a winning record. I'll take the Redskins covering the spread at Redskins 27, Eagles 17. The Atlanta Falcons, who are 0-4 on the road this year, travels to the four-and-ahalf- point favorite Carolina Panthers, who are 0-3 at home this year. There will be a first in this game, as someone has to win. The Falcons may have won last week, but that was at home and against the 49ers. I'll take the Panthers by a touchdown, Panthers 17, Falcons 10.

The Chicago Bears come off a bye week and face a very beatable and three-and-ahalf- point underdog Oakland Raiders. Brian Griese can breathe a sigh of relief and know he has one more week before he has to worry about losing his job back to "Sexy Rexy." I'll take the Bears to cover the spread with a score of Bears 32, Raiders 23.

The Dallas Cowboys travel to the one-and-a-half-point underdog New York Giants to battle out the division lead in the toughest division in football. The Giants have yet to lose after falling to 0-2, but I really don't see them taking the Cowboys, but it will be a close game to the end. I'll take the Cowboys with a field goal as the clock hits zero, Cowboys 24, Giants 21.

The Detroit Lions destroyed the Broncos last week and yet are still one and-a-halfpoint underdogs to the 3-5 Arizona Cardinals. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Cardinals are a lot better than their record shows, but the Lions are a solid team this year and eat teams like the Cardinals for breakfast (ask Jay Cutler). The Lions will win it outright, Lions 30, Cardinals 17.

The 8-1 Indianapolis Colts are suffering the worst start to a season in the last three years (the Colts started 2005 13-0 and 2006 9-0), but travel to the San Diego Chargers as three-and- a-half-point favorites. The Chargers couldn't touch Adrian Peterson and I don't see it changing with Joseph Addai. Look for a big running game from the Colts and a strong and message sending win by the Colts. I'll take the Colts covering the spread with a score of Colts 35, Chargers 13. For Monday Night Football, the San Francisco 49ers travel to 10-and-a-half-point favorite Seattle Seahawks.

With such a large spread, I am tempted to take the underdog, but it is after all the 49ers, which lost convincingly to the Falcons. I rest my case. I'll take the Seahawks covering the spread at Seahawks 38, 49ers 17. So there you have it. Those are my picks. Give me what you've got.

No comments: